1 cup spelt flour, plus more for rolling the dough
1/3 cup hulled, raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons - 1 tablespoon cold water
2 farm fresh eggs
15 -16 ounces fresh, baked or steamed pumpkin pureed until smooth
1 cup farm fresh milk, or almond milk
1/2 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
11. Put flour, pumpkin seeds and salt into food processor with fitted metal blade. Process until pumpkin seeds are finely ground.
22. Add the butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
33. Add maple syrup, vinegar and cold water and pulse until mixture clumps.
44. Roll into ball and flatten on parchment paper pressing into a large flat circle and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
55. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
66. On lightly floured board, roll dough into a 12 inch circle and transfer to 10 inch pie plate pressing into bottom and up sides. Finish edges. Prick with fork in several places. Line with parchment paper or foil and weight with dried beans or rice. Place in oven for about 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Lift parchment or foil and weight and remove them from baked shell. Set aside.
77. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
11. In mixing bowl, place egg, pumpkin, milk, maple syrup or agave, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt, and vanilla.
22. Whisk until smooth.
33. Pour into baked pie shell.
44. Bake until filling doesn't jiggle, about 35-45 minutes. Set pie on cooling rack.
55. Serve at room temperature or child with whipped cream and whole pumpkin seeds if desired.
Optional: Serve with sweetened whipped cream or raw banana ice cream and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds for garnish.
Variation for crust: Use unsalted sunflower seeds or walnuts in place of pumpkin seeds.
Variation for filling: Use canned pumpkin.