High Blood Sugar Help
You’ve been diagnosed with high
blood sugar or prediabetes
– here’s some things you can do
Persistently high blood sugar levels are serious
Untreated, high blood sugar can cause arterial blockages, resulting in strokes or heart attacks. It is also responsible for the onset of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes, and the complications that can follow.
As a certified Prediabetes Educator and Holistic Health Coach, I work with people who have learned from their doctor that they have high blood sugar or prediabetes. They are often scared and uncertain on what to do. But they soon learn there is hope! And the same is true for you. Your life does not need to be defined by this.
Other helpful pages:
- Understanding carbs, the Glycemic Index and what they mean to you
- Blood Glucose Monitoring
- Free Blood Sugar Levels Chart
Bookmark this page to return to it as needed
Let’s talk about high sugar levels, why they matter and what you can do.
What is high blood sugar?
Health experts, like those at the American Diabetes Association, have outlined blood glucose ranges that indicate normal or high measurements. The condition of high blood sugar, also known as hyperglycemia, occurs when excessive amounts of glucose in the blood cause the human body to stop functioning normally.
Why it matters
Hearing the above information may be all you need to know and now you are motivated to solve your situation. Still, other people choose to think about their diagnosis for months or even years before they take action.
I get it. Change is hard. Still, many people know they need help for 10 years before they take action. One reason for this is that the initial damage to their body is likely invisible. So, it’s easy to ignore. However, the consequences can begin to add up.
Here’s what’s happening to the body when it’s ignored:
- High blood sugar causes nerve damage. Burning leg pain eventually turns to leg numbness. When arterial blockages and nerve damage are combined, deformities and tissue damage can mean the loss of feet or toes.
- Tiny blood vessels in our eyes are damaged by untreated high blood glucose. It can lead to blindness over time.
- Kidneys can fail due to high blood glucose and it can require dialysis. Diabetes is the number one cause of kidney failure.
- High blood glucose impairs the white blood cell functions important to a healthy immune system. Most everyone started to think about the importance of a strong immune system during the Covid-19 pandemic. Diabetes is a risk factor for anyone suffering from Covid-19.
- Blood that is consistently high in sugar welcomes bacteria and fungus, and these critters love to create nasty infections.
What to do
If you’ve been diagnosed with high blood sugar or prediabetes, do not lose hope! There are steps you can take toward balancing blood glucose levels and managing prediabetes. Let’s start with some of those now…
Not sure how to start?
Coach Georgianne Holland
Certified Holistic Health Coach, CHHC
Certified Diabetes Educator, CDE
Member of the American Association of Diabetes Educators
Member of the American Association of Drugless Practitioners
Member of the American Holistic Health Association
Food As Medicine and Mind-Body Medicine Practitioner
Creator of the Solution StarterTM Program for Prediabetes and the Homemade Health E-Newsletter.
Holland Health Coaching is located in Colorado. We welcome everyone to join us in our wellness practice. Please enjoy the free resources and expert tools you’ll find on our website.
Coach Georgianne does not replace your doctor; she helps you work with your medical team for your greater good health.